Over the past decade or so, several new spa business models have appeared. As new treatments become available and technology advances, spa’s diversify and create new niches of business. In fact, one of the questions we get the most from our patients is, what is the difference between a day spa and a med spa?
Traditional day spas provide personal care treatments focused on improving beauty and relaxation. Common services at day spas include massages, pedicures/manicures, aromatherapy and facials. Some day spas offer hot stone massage and reflexology, while others integrate hair salon and makeup services. The reason there is a confusion between day spas and medical spa naples is because many day spas now offer beauty and cosmetic treatments.
However, there is a very important difference between a Day Spa and a Med Spa. Day spas are NOT under the supervision of a Medical Director, and treatments are not typically performed by medically trained professionals. In a Day Spa, treatments are typically provided by people certified in areas like therapeutic massage and cosmetology.
A Med Spa is a hybrid between a Medical Aesthetic Clinic and a Day Spa that operates under the supervision of a highly trained and specialized Physician. Ideally, in a Med Spa all medical-grade treatments should be performed by qualified physicians. Unfortunately, some offices perform treatments through PA’s (physician assistants) or ARNPs (Nurse Practitioners) under the supervision of a Medical Director that may or may not be the actual owner. Regulations vary state-to-state, and some states don’t even require a doctor to ever be present at the facilities. Laser treatments, injections, and other medical procedures require experience and skill to be done safely and effectively. You should feel comfortable asking for credentials and experience. At Orchidia Med Spa, all of our treatments are performed by our highly trained physicians, Dr Young and Dr Cuberos.
Some Med Spas may be stand-alone, while others are located within a medical facility. An orchid medical spa typically focuses on providing medical-grade treatments to treat a variety of aesthetic conditions including lines, wrinkles, pigmentation issues, acne, redness, volume loss, weight management, permanent hair removal and broken capillaries.
Popular med spa treatments include:
- Medical Grade Facials ( Micro-Needling ): Sometimes called Collagen Induction Therapy, Micro-Needling involves the creation of microscopic channels through the surface of the skin, which leads to the formation of new tissue and releases the skin’s natural growth factors which promote scar and hyperpigmentation repair and healing.
- Chemical Peels: Topically applied formulations that trigger a controlled shedding of the skin to accelerate the growth of new and youthful appearing skin cells. Chemical peels are available in a variety of different types, each using different active ingredients (peeling agents) depending on the condition being addressed with treatment.
- Skin Lightening: Treatments that address common pigmentation issues including dark spots, blemishes, melasma, and melanin imperfections. Skin lightening systems can also boost the texture and luminosity of the skin.
- Lasers: There are many laser treatment options available to address a variety of concerns, including wrinkles, loss of collagen, texture issues, discoloration and blemishes, and more.
- Radio Frequency (RF): A device used to impart energy into the deep tissue to provide a tightening effect for the face or body. A commonly used RF device is Vanquish.
- Botox or Dysport: Injectable treatments to address lines and wrinkles.
- Dermal Fillers: Most commonly formulated with hyaluronic acid, dermal fillers help to volumize areas of the face that have hollowed or formed wrinkles due to a loss of collagen. Common fillers include Juvederm, Restylane, and Radiesse.
#skin #beauty #botox #dysport #medical #spa #younger #healthy